Gisborne Health and Safety Strike
NZNO members in Ward 5 at Gisborne Hospital went on strike for health and safety on 24 May, 2023.
NZNO Tōpūtanga Tapuhi Kaitiaki o Aotearoa (NZNO) members at Gisborne Hospital’s Ward 5 will embark on industrial action for one hour on 24 May after a series of appeals for staff and patient safety have been ignored by the employer.
Tairāwhiti delegate Christine Warrander said the decision was made because they are incredibly concerned about patient safety and the existing situation continues to compromise patient care
Warrander said a provisional improvement notice (PIN) was issued on 20 December for Ward 5 in response to health and safety concerns arising from unsafe staffing levels.
"Acute and persistent staff shortages had resulted in untenable workloads, staff stress, increased sick leave, burn out and resignations."
But the situation has become worse since the PIN was issued, Warrander said.
"The system is falling apart, and no one is listening!"
Patient care nurses are calling on Te Whatu Ora to immediately focus on three key areas.
- Reduce beds from 25 to a maximum of 20.
- until such time as staff on Ward 5 in their professional judgement agree safe staffing levels are met.
- Increase staff to provide safe patient care.
Warrander said every time there was an acute staffing shortage, it meant a patient was at risk of not getting the correct care they needed.
- Exhausted Gisborne Hospital Ward 5 nurses to strike - NZNO New Zealand Nurses Organisation, 12 May 2023
- Exhausted Gisborne Hospital Ward 5 nurses to strike NZ Doctor, 12 May 2023
- Gisborne Hospital nurses to strike over growing workloads Radio New Zealand, 13 May 2023
- ‘We’ve been rolling over too long, we’re not going to do it anymore’ — Gisborne nurses to strike Kaitiaki, 16 May 2023
- Christine Warrander | Registered Nurse at Hauora Tairawhiti Waatea News, 16 May 2023
- Nurses to go on strike Gisborne Herald, 16 May 2023
- Nurses Organisation says they're being 'strong-armed and silenced' as Te Whatu Ora takes legal action to stop strike Newshub, 21 May 2023
- Te Whatu Ora takes legal action to stop Gisborne nurses strike - NZNO New Zealand Nurses Organisation, 21 May 2023
- ‘They’re stabbing us in the back’ — Gisborne Hospital moves to block ward 5 nurses’ strike Kaitiaki, 21 May 2023
- Paul Goulter: New Zealand Nurses Organisation chief executive on Te Whatu Ora planning to stop Gisborne nurses striking Newstalk ZB audio, 22 May 2023
- 'Reached the end of their tether': NZNO chief executive justifies Gisborne nurse strike Newstalk ZB, 22 May 2023
- Exhausted Gisborne nurses in fear of making a fatal mistake, Employment Court hears Radio New Zealand, 22 May 2023
- 'Frustrating': Nurse on acute ward fed up, says lack of staffing putting patients at risk Newshub, 22 May 2023
- Employment Court rejects bid by Te Whatu Ora to stop Gisborne Hospital strike Radio New Zealand, 23 May 2023
- Gisborne nurses strike to go ahead after Employment Court win TVNZ, 23 May 2023
- Employment Court upholds nurses’ right to strike - NZNO New Zealand Nurses Organisation, 23 May 2023
- Nurses await Employment Court decision on last-ditch effort to stop tomorrow’s strike Gisborne Herald, 23 May 2023
- Gisborne nurses offer assurance on patient care as they walk off the job Radio New Zealand, 24 May 2023
- Tairāwhiti nurses strike despite efforts by Te Whatu Ora to stop action Te Karere TVNZ, 24 May 2023
- Hundreds support striking Gisborne nurses after court win Kaitiaki, 24 May 2023
- ‘This is for every other nurse in New Zealand’ — Gisborne ward 5 nurses celebrate right to strike over safety fears Kaitiaki, 24 May 2023
- Gisborne nurses win support for strike Waatea News, 25 May 2023
- Gisborne Nurses Strike w/ Christine Warrander: 25 May, 2023 95bFM, 25 May 2023
- Christine Warrander | NZ Nurses Organisation rep at the Gisborne Hospital Waatea News, 25 May 2023
- Court rules for Gisborne nurse strike Waatea News, 25 May 2023
- Nurses strike goes ahead after Te Whatu Ora fails to get injunction stopping industrial action Gisborne Herald, 25 May 2023
Videos from the strike (click on the image below to view each video)
Photos from the strike
Videos of solidarity and support (click on the image below to view each video)
Support from NZNO members around Aotearoa
Messages of solidarity and support (click on the image below to view)